• Profile photo of Bradley Martyn
    Bradley Martyn
    October 29, 2015 at 6:49 pm #11607

I get hit with a bunch of questions every day! Among them are often things like “what are the best type of carbs?” “Do you eat bread?” “Should I cut out sugar?” “Is red meat ok?” …And the list goes on and on. There is one question that I rarely get…”what types of fat sources to you eat?” A lot of people want to focus on getting a lot of protein, eating “clean carbs”, and pretty much eliminating fat or only allowing it to enter your diet if it’s part of the protein that you are eating. I want to say that I think fat sources really do matter!
    Whether you are trying to bulk or cut…the types of additional fat sources can play a role on your health and performance. We need to understand these different sources of fat: saturated fat, polyunsaturated fat, monounsaturated fat, and “MCT”. Saturated fats are most commonly found from animal products, polyunsaturated fat from some fish, nuts, and certain oils, monounsaturated fat from olive oil and avocado, and MCT’s from Coconut oil.
    The average gymrat usually doesn’t have a problem getting enough saturated fat in their diet. A lot of people do need to consume more poly and monounsaturated fats though! You’ve probably heard that omega fatty acids were good for you (aka fish oil). The omega fatty acids that you get from most fish oils will also be found in polyunsaturated fats! These are called “essential fatty acids”. The key word to focus on there is “essential”. This means that we need to get them from our diet, as our body can’t produce them by itself. Consuming better fat sources, in moderation, can possibly lead to a healthier heart, better cholesterol levels, fight against type 2 diabetes, and help decrease inflammation as a whole! Not to mention all of the aesthetic and performance bonuses you’ll potentially get from them! MCT’s is a common term related to fats in the fitness and supplement industry. MCT stands for “medium chain triglyceride”. They have a variety of potential health benefits but they would be considered the “fast digesting fat” from a performance standpoint. If you are looking for something to consume early in the day for some quick physical energy…MCT is your best choice.
    Keep in mind that at the end of the day your macronutrient ratio and total caloric intake needs to make sense based on your goals. That being said, I think that if you find yourself adding fats to your meals to hit macro goals…you can make better decisions to get a wider variety of fat types into your diet which should lead to a better performing and healthier you!

SATURATED FAT

Kerrygold Irish Butter (or any butter from a grass fed cow).
    Gourmet Cheese.
    Greek Yogurt.
    Grass Fed Beef.
    Free Range Eggs (the yolk).

POLYUNSATURATED FAT

Flaxseed Oil.
    Walnuts.
    Salmon and fatty fish.
    Sunflower Oil.

MONOUNSATURATED FAT

Avocado.
    Peanut Butter.
    Olive Oil.
    Macadamia Nuts and Oil.
    Almonds.

Thank you for reading! If you have any suggestions for what you would like to see me cover in these blog posts then contact me on social media or email me at bradleymartynonline@gmail.com.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.